- Who We Are
- Programs & Services
- Parents/Consumers & Advocacy
- Fundraising & Volunteering
- REStArT Institute & Trainings
- Internships & Residency
In 1906, sixteen women from the Children’s Hospital Society formed the Allendale Shelter Club, recognizing a great need for the care of Chicago’s homeless and destitute boys whose population was steadily climbing. In the following years, an affiliation with the Allendale Farm was made.
Today, the Shelter Club is over 70 active members strong and remains Allendale’s largest private donor, contributing funds to construct ML’s Place (named for Shelter Club member, ML Bromwell, which houses our Career and Technical Education program), the new “Shelter Club Commons” Cafeteria, several cottage renovations and, most recently, a new Student Technology Lab/Center. Each individual member has served as an inspiration for Allendale youth and provided reassurance that someone out there cares — from providing each Allendale youth with birthday and holiday gifts, sponsoring Prom and Graduation events/activities and even hosting summer swimming parties in their own homes.
For over 100 years, the women of the Allendale Shelter Club have been an incredible source of compassion, friendship and generous financial support to the children of Allendale. We are extremely grateful that this remarkably organized group of dedicated women chose Allendale to be the exclusive recipient of their charitable giving and volunteer efforts. It’s heartwarming to know that generations of Shelter Club members have passed the torch, to continue in the generous tradition of the club’s founding members.
Learn more about the Allendale Shelter Club.