Therapeutic Recreation Program Specialist
Assesses the therapeutic goals and objectives related to each client, and provides client specific therapeutic recreational activities in order to help the client develop in knowledge, abilities, social skills and emotional functioning. Consult to team, and as appropriate, plan for normalized recreational and leisure activities and experiences.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation or related field
- Therapeutic Recreation certification or in process of receiving certification
- Lifesaving, First Aid and CPR certifications
- Valid Illinois Driver’s License with good driving record
- Performs assessments on clients and develops therapeutic and normalized recreational activities plans, including protocols of groups and activities.
- Implements client specific therapeutic recreation programs, and analyzes effectiveness of programs.
- Prepares and presents reports of pertinent client information to staffings; and assists with establishing goals for assigned clients.
- Attends and participates in various regular meetings, including Recreation Team meetings and weekly Unit meetings.
- Collects and compiles data; and prepares, updates and maintains various records, including budget/expenditures. Prepares various reports and assessments as needed.
- Processes Medicaid billing per established procedures.
- Provides direction to direct care teams in organizing and planning cottage recreational and leisure activities and schedules.
- Assists unit direct care staff with child care duties and with crisis/one-to-one situations. Administers medication as needed. Provides assistance and support in the implementation of behavior management and reinforcement systems which are congruent with all other program areas. This includes ability to physically restrain acting out clients per safety and behavior management standards.
- Acts as lifeguard during the summer season.
- Develops and maintains relationships with community resources.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends in the field; maintains membership in appropriate professional organizations and attends appropriate training programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.