Mental Health Specialist
Full-time; varied hours
The Mental Health Specialist II works actively within the unit/cottage to implement individual and group programs through the care, supervision, monitoring and direction of the residents encompassing activities related to residents’ health, education and welfare as well as care for the physical environment and maintain appropriate records.
- Bachelors Degree in Human Services or related field OR 5 years equivalent experience.
- Per DCFS regulations, must be at least 21 years of age.
- First Aid/CPR certified within 90 days of employment.
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record.
- Previous experience in a residential setting.
- Knowledge of crisis intervention and physical restraints.
- Provides general direction and supervision to residents within the unit/cottage, including one-on-one attention to assigned residents, in accordance with the individual unit/cottage programs. This includes ability to physically restrain acting out residents per safety and behavior management standards.
- Directly supervise residents in performance of daily chores and personal hygiene practices.
- Assists in the preparation and/or serving of meals to residents in the unit/cottage when appropriate to the unit/cottage program.
- In conjunction with the treatment team, assists in developing, writing and implementing group and individual treatment plans.
- Administers medications and follows medical procedures for residents as directed by the Health Services Manager.
- Participates with residents in cottage recreational activities, as well as other planned recreational programs.
- Works collegially with recreation staff, school staff and others within the treatment team to ensure quality of care for unit/cottage residents.
- Documents shift activities and maintains appropriate records including all data needed for Medicaid billing. Completes appropriate forms and paperwork. Maintains and updates hard copy and/or computerized files/records.
- Maintains adequate supplies for unit/cottage, reports maintenance and vehicle repair needs and responds to personal needs of residents as appropriate (i.e. haircuts, new clothing needs, etc.).
- Transports youth to prescribed off-campus activities.
- Participates in unit/cottage team meetings; attends appropriate staffings and other meetings related to residents, as needed.
- Provides assistance with special projects.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.