Director of Development & Fundraising
Responsible for both short-term and long-term/strategic Development/Fundraising forecasting, planning and strategic implementation in support of department and Agency mission, goals and objectives. Plans, directs, controls and oversees the development, major gift fund-raising, planned giving, grant administration, record maintenance and reporting, alumni, corporate and volunteer development, operations, budget, systems and procedures of the Development Department.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in fundraising, public relations/communications or related field or equivalent experience. Exceptions will be considered based on agency need and experience related to the position.
- Five years progressively responsible experience in fund-raising for non-profits
- Five years management experience
- Experience with spreadsheet, word processing and database PC-based software
- Master’s degree
- Experience with Capital Campaigns
- Familiarity TQM/CQI principles
- Experience in a health service/non-profit environment
- Familiarity with computerized Development information systems, i.e. Blackbaud
- Advises, recommends and helps formulate Fundraising/Development initiatives and policies for the Team, President and Board of Trustees; and ensures these initiatives, policies and directives are implemented.
- Assists the agency President and Department VP in the general management of the Fundraising/Development practices and procedures and plans and develops short term and long term goals and budgets for both restricted and general operating funds.
- Provides input into strategic planning for Board Member Development.
- Serves as main contact to the Allendale “Shelter Club” by staffing meetings, and helping secure corporate support and attendance for their special events and fundraising projects.
- Responsible for research, cultivation and solicitation of current and prospective major gift donors to meet annual budgeted goals.
- Responsible for Foundation, Corporation and Government fundraising efforts, including research, cultivation, solicitation, recognition and retention to meet budgeted goals. Supervises the work of the department Grant Writer to help with research and solicitation efforts.
- Responsible for the research, cultivation and solicitation of current and prospective planned giving donors and works with Board of Trustees, President and Dept. VP to develop a strategic plan for endowment fund growth.
- Identifies trends in foundation grant-making and government sources and consults with agency leadership regarding funding priorities/opportunities to provide funding recommendations to increase operational efficiencies within their areas. Responsible for collecting grant outcome/data reports to ensure timely reporting to grantors.
- Works closely with the Department VP to attain Annual Fund revenue goals, including Year-End Appeal, Spring Appeal, Special Event Fundraising, & Capital Project and Campaign Fundraising.
- Works closely with the VP and the Public Relations/Marketing/Branding/Messaging team for fundraising purposes (Year-End Appeal materials, Special Event planning and materials, fundraising printed materials, website coordination, email and social media marketing, etc.) to ensure smooth administrative functioning and task-alignment in blended Department structure.
- Prepares various internal and external project reports for agency leadership, Board of Trustees, Development Committee, Shelter Club, funders and community partners as required or requested. Makes presentations to internal and external individuals and groups as required.
- Hires, trains, develops, evaluates, and recommends employment status changes for any direct report staff in area of responsibility.
- Helps oversee the Development database management system, including: gift processing and acknowledgment, financial reporting, and account reconciliation.
- Helps oversees gift-in-kind donation initiatives as a way to identify increased participation and major giving prospects.
- Helps organization with Alumni and Volunteer recruitment and cultivation.
- Maintains current knowledge of industry trends. Maintains membership with appropriate professional organizations, and represents the Agency to other organizations and the funding community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.