Director of Development & Fundraising
Responsible for both short-term and long-term/strategic Development/Fundraising forecasting, planning and strategic implementation in support of department and Agency mission, goals and objectives. Plans, directs, controls and oversees the development, major gift fund-raising, planned giving, grant administration, record maintenance and reporting, alumni, corporate and volunteer development, operations, budget, systems and procedures of the Development Department.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in fundraising, public relations/communications or related field or equivalent experience. Exceptions will be considered based on agency need and experience related to the position.
- Five years progressively responsible experience in fund-raising for non-profits
- Five years management experience
- Experience with spreadsheet, word processing and database PC-based software
- Master’s degree
- Experience with Capital Campaigns
- Familiarity TQM/CQI principles
- Experience in a health service/non-profit environment
- Familiarity with computerized Development information systems, i.e. Blackbaud
- Advises, recommends and helps formulate Fundraising/Development initiatives and policies for the President and Board of Trustees; and ensures the Board’s and President’s initiatives, policies and directives are implemented.
- Assists the agency President, VP of Development, Marketing & PR in the general management of the Fundraising/Development practices and procedures and plans and develops short term and long term goals and budgets for both restricted and general operating funds.
- Provide input into strategic planning for Board Member Development.
- Serves as main contact to the Allendale Shelter Club regarding annual gift/donation and scholarship coordination.
- Responsible for research, cultivation and solicitation of current and prospective major gift donors to meet annual budgeted goals.
- Responsible for Foundation, Corporation and Government fundraising efforts, including research, cultivation, solicitation, recognition and retention to meet budgeted goals. Coordinates with Department Grant Writer to identify and secure Foundation, Corporation and Government support.
- Works with Board of Trustees and President to develop strategic plan initiative for endowment fund growth and responsible for research, cultivation and solicitation of current and prospective planned giving donors.
- Identify trends in foundation grant-making and government sources and brings connections to Allendale program leadership for further consideration. Consults with other agency Vice Presidents regarding funding priorities/opportunities and provides funding recommendations to increase operational efficiencies within their areas. Ensures follow-up grant outcomes/data is gathered in a timely manner for grant reporting purposes and is responsible for timely grant outcomes reporting to grantors.
- Responsible for attainment of Annual Fund revenue goals, including Year-End Appeal and Special Event fundraising.
- Works closely with Public Relations/Marketing/Branding/Messaging team for fundraising purposes (Year-End Appeal materials, Special Event planning and materials, fundraising printed materials, website coordination, email marketing, etc.) for smooth administrative functioning and task-alignment in blended Department structure.
- Prepares various reports for internal, external and Board of Trustees/Development Committee use as required or requested. Makes presentations to internal and external individuals and groups as required.
- Hires, trains, develops, evaluates, and recommends employment status changes for any direct report staff in area of responsibility.
- Oversees Development’s database management system, including: gift processing and acknowledgment, financial reporting, and account reconciliation.
- Oversees all gift-in-kind donation initiatives.
- Helps organization with Alumni and Volunteer recruitment and cultivation.
- Maintains current knowledge of industry trends. Maintains membership with appropriate professional organizations, and represents the Agency to other organizations and the funding community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.